What Makes a Character?
I've been wondering lately about what it is that makes a character "real". You know, how some books you read you get so caught up in the characters and actually start thinking of them as a good friend whom you know well. Where as some other books you just cannot get into, you just cannot feel that connection between reader and character. What is it that makes that difference? What do you think? What is it that makes a character "real" to you?
2 comments:
I think first of all, they have to actually be 'human' (or elvish, you know).
Have imperfections, flaws, etc.
And for bad guys, I think giving them a human side is also good - even if they are downrighte evil. :)
Hmmm, very true. You're right, you never even really think about it, but when the villains are just downright not good, you feel nothing, just this hate. But when they have a human side, you have this feeling of almost, but not quite, pity. Good thoughts! Thanks for posting them! :)
Post a Comment