Friday, January 15, 2010

What Are You Doing?


Honestly, I don't really know what to write. . . . I just want to. To attempt to get all of the thoughts out before me in words, with the hope that maybe. . . just maybe, that will help untangle them so that then maybe I will be able to see them all clearly. So hang tight with me, 'cause the road might just get kind of bumpy.

God is doing so many things in my life right now. . . . So many, that the only question I can ask Him is "what are you doing? What are your plans for all of this?". This isn't the first time in my life that I've asked Him those questions–nor do I dare say that it will be the last! Never has the answer been a layout plan of the next few months, or the next years ahead, with little red arrows and pointers saying "at this point such and such a thing will happen, I know it will get pretty tough, but just hang on, and I will do this and this to get you out of it." Wouldn't that be nice! But nope, God does not will for us to see the future. He doesn't want our eyes to be so plastered on the layout plan that we forget to keep them on Him.

"And why would that be such a big problem?" You ask.

Well, if we're so busy looking at the map that we forget to look at the guide, we might get lost.

"Ha!" You say. "I would like to know how that would happen! We would have the map after all!"

But maps can be tricky, you may read it as one thing, when really it means another. Haven't you ever gotten lost on a car trip before? And I'm sure that you had a map didn't you. . . . Or maybe it was something like Map Quest, or some other online direction giver. I've even known people who got lost when they had a GPS in the car! So you see, it can, and does happen. But now, what if on those trips you had someone who knew the route by heart, without a map or any other device, sitting in the driver's seat. Now would you get lost? Most likely not.

So you see. If we had an outlay of the future, we could still get lost in it. But if you kept your eyes glued on Jesus instead–truly keeping them on Him–you will never lose your way. However, our eyes all slip now and again, our eyes move to the steering wheel, the gas peddle, and our eyes get big like a little kid's when he sees a fancy new toy that he wants. We point our fingers and say "I want that."

That's when we get in trouble and end up at all kinds of dead ends. But the good news is that Jesus is still in the passenger seat, just waiting for us to admit that this wasn't such a good idea and give the wheel back to Him.

So God. . . take the driver's seat in my life. And let whatever road I take lead to Your ultimate glory.

Assr vĂ­sa ykkarr or∂.

~ElizabethMarieKauffman~

No comments: