Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014: The Year Of Exploration



It's a new year....

Somehow there is always the feeling of a fresh start on January 1st.

It's like you have the whole world before you. You can forget all of your mistakes the year before and try again.

... But this year I realize that some things can't be shaken off.

Everything that you experience will always be a part of you, no matter how hard you try to hide them.
Scars to your heart will always smart a little when rediscovered and played with.
2013 brought so many joys to my life. So many delightful adventures and new friends made.
It also brought pain, uncertainty, and more stress than I had ever before felt.

There were moments of laying in the grass, looking up at the stars and everything was right.
Everything was as it should be and I could just feel God right there with me, smiling with me and holding me in His arms. Together we would laugh at some shared secret as I skipped through the woods and hummed a song stuck in my head.

Those moments I will always cherish.

Then there were the other moments....

The moments I wish to forget. And yet, I don't want to forget them. They have matured me, taught me things that will only enhance my writing.

What is life without the hardships? The sudden drops from joy to terror?

I take comfort that through everything I can trust that God is right there... holding me close to His heart. Even when I don't feel Him. When his voice cannot be heard. I revel in the knowledge that even there... in the pits of human emotions, He still stays by my side and guides my steps.
Sometimes all I have to do is stop asking questions and be still.

This last year had so many twists in my journey.

I started out with Hollywood as my goal.

I end
with God as my goal.

I have come to the realization that if I am to be His tool, I must stop making plans for myself.
I dream. I hope.
I pray.
And I let go and trust.

It's a new goal for life. A new way to look at the world.
If you can achieve it, it is a life without stress, anxiety, and despair because in all things, you know that God is in control.
In all things, His hand is at work.

It's how I want to live.

I am still a long ways away from reaching this point.

But as I look ahead to this year, I think I will get some good opportunities to practice.

From taking a missions trip to Nicaragua for three months February through April,
to having no clue what will be happening after June... or even how I will make the money I need to live.

It will be a year of adventure and learning to trust.

A year of writing, and following where God leads.

It will be,
a year to grow.


Assr vĂ­sa ykkarr brand.
(May God guide your sword)

Elizabeth Marie Kauffman

No comments: