Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Thrill and Terror of Flight



I love birds. I love to watch them soar through the sky as if they hadn't a care in the world.

The idea of flying is one that has always fascinated me. I remember when I was younger watching different documentaries on how birds could fly. I loved the study the diagrams of their wings and how the wind moved across their feathers, creating the lift that they needed to rise into the sky. I've even had a number of dreams throughout my growing up years that I, myself, could fly.

Flight (figurative) is great. I love the wind, the rush of adrenaline when I look over the edge of someplace high. I love the freedom, the daring of new things.

... And I hate it. I hate change, the unknown, not being able to see where I'm going. I hate the sensation of falling, the fear of the pain when I hit the ground.

Right now I am standing at that ledge, heart pounding, breath quickened as I stare over the side at the ground below. The space of air between either promises a long fall or a chance to soar even higher. Which will it be?

I have faith that since it was God who brought me to this ledge that I will soon be soaring among the eagles and dancing on the breeze. But still the whispers come, the haunting voice that quotes the percentages of success in the flying business.... 

The excited adrenaline turns cold and freezes your breath, strangling you and clutching its cold fingers around your heart. 
LA will be the first time I have ever lived away from my family.... This internship will be my first time out "in the the real world of film and television." I will be living in a strange city filled with strange people. I will be on my own.

I only have a little bit more packing to do.

Three days until I fly.

In three days I take that leap of faith and plunge from the cliff edge, head back, wings outstretched, trusting that I will soar.

Today I must remind myself to breathe. I must remind myself that God is in control, that this is where He wants me, and He will take care of me.

Assr vĂ­sa ykkarr brand.
(May God guide your sword)

Elizabeth Marie Kauffman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the Lord, who is my refuge-
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

Psalm 91

From a fan :)

Unknown said...

You are not alone Liz. Remember the story of the man who talked to God on the beach. (If you don't know it I'll tell you later)
You also have your friends and family to cheer u on. (Yeah me too grumble grumble) ;->